ARDERSIER - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"ARDERSIER, (or Ardrosser), a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 10 miles to the N.E. of Inverness. It is situated on the coast of the Moray Firth, and contains Fort George and the village of Campbelltown. It was formerly the possession of the Bishop of Ross and the Knights Hospitallers. The living, value £158, is in the presbytery of Nairn, and in the patronage of the Earl of Cawdor, heritor. The parish church was built in 1802. There is also a Free church, and a United Presbyterian chapel at Campbelltown. The soil is well cultivated, except near the coast, and the roads are exceedingly good, great improvements having been made of late years. There is an obelisk, 6 feet high, called the Kebbock Stone, on a heath in this parish, of which there are various accounts. It may mark the grave of a chief, the scene of a victory, or nothing more poetical than the boundary of a county. Fort George stands at the extremity of the peninsula. See Fort GEORGE."
"CAMPBELTON, (or Campbelltown), a village in the parishes of Ardersier and Petty, in the county of Inverness, 10 miles to the N.E. of Inverness. It is seated on the coast of the Moray Firth, not far from Fort George. The Earl of Cawdor, from whose family name the village is named, owned the land on which the village is built. That part of the village in the parish of Petty is sometimes called Stuarton. Here is an United Presbyterian church, and on a neighbouring eminence the remains of a British fort, Here is also a chalybeate spring, and the village is frequented as a watering-place.
"FORT GEORGE, a fortress in the parish of Ardersier, county Inverness, Scotland. It occupies a commanding position on a neck of land stretching cut into Moray Firth. It was erected by government soon after 1745, and is well garrisoned and mounted."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003