"Name. - The etymology of the name is sufficiently obvious, - Ben a hill, and holme a piece of low-lying level ground. This derivation suggests the idea of a diversified surface of hill and dale; and this is not undescriptive of the general aspect of the parish.
Extent, &c. - The length and breadth of the parish are nearly equal, as it extends about 3 miles from north to south, and the same distance from east to west: consequently it may contain about 9 square miles. It is bounded on the south-west, by the parish of St Cyrus; on the north-west, by that of Garvock; on the north-east, by that of Bervie; and on the south-east, by the German Ocean. The parish forms nearly a square, and is thus remarkably compact."
The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Vol XI Forfar-Kincardine
- Church Records
- Civil Registration
- Description and Travel
- Historical Geography
Monumental Inscriptions of the Parish Church of Benholm have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
Old Parish Records for the parish of Benholm  are located in New Register House, Edinburgh.
These have also been microfilmed by the LDS:
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
View photographs of Benholm and the surrounding area.
- The transcription of the section for Benholm from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.
View maps of Benholm.