GLENBERVIE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GLENBERVIE, a parish in the county Kincardine, Scotland, 3 miles N.E. of Fordoun, containing the post village of Drumlithie. It is situated at the base of the Grampian hills, on the river Bervicarage Its length is over 6 miles, its breadth 6. The surface is hilly. The soil in the low country is light and fertile. The Cowie and Carron waters take their rise in the interior. The Aberdeen railway has a station at Drumlithie. This parish is in the presbytery of Fordoun and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister has a stipend of £231. The church was built in 1826. There are a Free church, Episcopal chapel, parochial school, three private academies, friendly societies, and a savings-bank. The principal landowners are, Nicolson, of Glenbervie House, and Gordon of Drumlithie. Glenbervie is a burgh of barony under the Douglas family. A fair for cattle is held in October."
"DRUMLITHIE, a village in the parish of Glenbervie, in the county of Kincardine, Scotland, 23½ miles from Aberdeen by the Scottish North-Eastern railway, on which it is a station."
"DUTHIES, a village in the parish of Glenbervie, in the county of Kincardine, Scotland, 6 miles W. of Stonehaven."
"OVERBERVIE, an ancient parish in the county of Kincardine, Scotland, now joined to Glenbervicarage"
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]