"('leper town'), a village and a parish of Edinburghshire. The village stands, 356 feet above sea-level, on the summit of a low broad-based ridge, 2 3/8 miles SSE of the centre of Edinburgh, and is sometimes distinguished as Liberton Kirk, from the fact that it contains the parish church. It is somewhat straggling in its arrangement, and besides the poorer class of cottages, includes some neat houses and elegant villas."
"Liberton parish is bounded N by St Cuthbert's and Duddingston, E by Inveresk and Newton, SE by Dalkeith, S by Lasswade, and W by Colinton. It extends from the Pow Burn at Edinburgh to within a mile of Dalkeith, and from the close vicinity of the Firth of Forth at Magdalene Bridge to near the E end of the Pentland range. Its greatest length from ENE to WSW is 5 ¾ miles; its greatest breadth is 4 ¼ miles; and its area is 6617 acres. The scenery of this parish is very beautifully diversified, though it never loses its lowland smiling character."
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895)
A list of books and articles is available online.
The parish church has records for births dating from 1624, for marriages from 1631 and for deaths from 1647. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Further information on church records, such as births & baptisms, marriages, deaths & burials, old parish registers,parish church and parish ministers (with a list of names) is available online.
The transcription of the section for Liberton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.Nearby places can be identified from the GENUKI Gazetteer.
A History of Liberton Village - on Liberton High School web site.
Various maps for the parish are available online.
A list of population statistics is available online.
Information on schoolmasters can be found online.
Information on statistics can be found online.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.
Information on the Hearth Taxand the Poll Tax can be found online.
Return to top of pagePage Created by Margaret A. Mitchell
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.