"DUFFUS, a parish in the county of Elgin, Scotland. It contains the towns of Burgh-Head, Hopeman, and New Duffus, the villages of Cummingston, Roseisle, College of Roseisle, and Kaim, and the hamlets of Kirktown, Buthill, Starwood, Old Roseisle, Inskiel, and Unthank. It extends eastward along the Moray Firth for 5 miles, with a breadth of 3 miles. It is bounded on the N. by the Moray Firth, and on the other sides by the parishes of Drainie, Spynie, and Alves. The surface is flat and richly cultivated, and the soil fertile. The climate is remarkably mild, and there is little rain. The loch of Spynie, previous to being drained, extended a mile into this parish, and washed the mound on which Duffus Castle stood, on its north-western shore. There are freestone quarries on the coast line, which towards the E. is bold. Limestone also occurs, and is burned for manure and other purposes. There are six principal landowners, three of whom, viz. Sir Archibald Dunbar, Bart., of Northfield, Stuart of Inverugie, and Brander of Roseislehaugh, are resident. The village of New Duffus stands 5 miles N.W. of Elgin. This parish is in the presbytery of Elgin and synod of Moray, and in the patronage of Sir Archibald Dunbar, Bart. The minister has a stipend of £232. There is a royal bounty chapel of the establishment at Burgh-Head, where there are also a Free church and an United Presbyterian church. There is an Episcopalian chapel near Kaim."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Duffus from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.