SPEYMOUTH - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SPEYMOUTH, a parish in the county of Elgin, Scotland. It contains the villages of Garmouth, Kingston Port, and Mosstodlach. The present parish consists of the two ancient parishes of Dippel and Essil, and the barony of Garmouth, which were erected into one parish by a decree of the Court of Session, dated the 14th of July, 1731, when the present name was given to the united parish from its situation at the mouth of the river Spey. It extends in length about 6½ miles from N. to S., with a mean breadth of about 1½ mile, and is bounded on the N. by the Moray Frith, on the E. by the river Spey, which is said to be the most rapid river in Scotland, on the S. by Rothes, and on the W. by Urquhart. The surface is level near the coast, but rises gradually towards the interior, and terminates in a high hill to the S. It abounds in wood and moorland, with about 50 acres of moss. The parish is traversed from S. to N. by the great road from Garmouth, and from W. to E. by the road from Keith to Elgin. It has water communication, and is within easy access of the Inverness and Aberdeen railway. This parish is in the presbytery of Elgin, synod of Moray. The stipend of the minister is about £135. The parish church was erected in 1732, and enlarged and restored in 1799. There is a free church, also parochial and four other schools. The ancient hospital of St. Nicholas way founded by one of the Bishops of Moray."
"GARMOUTH, a post town, burgh of barony, and subport to Banff, in the parish of Speymouth, county Moray, Scotland, 3 miles N. of Fochabers. It is situated on the left shore, near the mouth of the river Spey. The town is a well-built place, and does a considerable business in ship-building. The principal export trade is in timber from the forests adjacent to the rivers. Coal is imported. There is also a prolific salmon fishery. It is held as a burgh of barony by the dukes of Richmond, formerly the Gordons, of Gordon Castle. Here is a good harbour, a Free church, branch bank, and library. A fair is held on the 13th June."
"MOSSTODLACH, a village in the parish of Speymouth, county Elgin, Scotland, near Fochabers."
"DIPPLE, a parish joined to Speymouth, county Elgin, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]