Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer, 1868
Cawdor - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CAWDOR, (or Calder), a parish in the district of East Inverness, in the counties of Inverness and Nairn, Scotland, with a village of the same name, 5 miles S.W. of Nairn. Three-fourths of the surface consists of pasture and moorland, the remainder is wood and arable land. The principal heritors are the Earl of Cawdor and Sir J. Rose of Holme. Cawdor Castle, formerly the Tower of Calder, possesses great antiquarian interest. It was commenced in 1393, and increased by subsequent additions. In the 16th century it passed into the hands of the clan Campbell by the marriage of John of Lorn with the heiress of the Calder family. Here Lord Lovat lay hid after the rebellion of 1745, being ingeniously concealed in the roof, and might long have eluded search had he not left his retreat. Tradition asserts, though contrary to the opinion of antiquarians, that King Duncan (whose chain armour is here preserved) was murdered in the castle by Macbeth. The parish is in the presbytery of Nairn, and in the patronage of the Earl of Cawdor. The stipend of the minister is £156. There is also a Free church. A fair is held in March.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003