Towns & Parishes
"SANDWICK, a parish on the W. side of Mainland, Orkney Islands, coast of Scotland. It extends 7½ miles in length, with an extreme breadth of 4½ miles, and is bounded by the Atlantic ocean, and by the parishes of Birsay, Harray, Stennis, and Stromness. The surface is of a diversified character, abounding in hills, the highest rising from 300 to 400 feet. The interior is watered by two or three small lochs. The prevailing rocks are trap, sandstone, flagstone, and granite. It has a rocky coast rising sheer from 400 to 500 feet, but one point is a harbour for small vessels. The soil is of various qualities.
Near the shore stands the ruins of Snusgar Castle, and in other parts of the parish ere many tumuli and other antiquities. This parish is in the presbytery of Cairston, synod of Orkney. The stipend of the minister is £158. The parish church was erected in 1836. There is a Free church for this and the parish of Harray. There are also an United Presbyterian church, and Independent chapel, a parochial library, and a non-parochial school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]