"MANOR, or MANNER, a parish, containing a post-office station of its own name, in Peebles-shire. It is bounded by Selkirkshire, and by Megget, Drummelzier, Stobo, and Peebles ... Population in 1831, 254; in 1861, 247." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
The Source of Manor was published in 1999, compiled by Lyne and Manor Youth Group. The book is 288 pages long, and includes many interesting photographs and facts about the Manor Valley. For further details of the book, including its cost, please contact the youth group on email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Manor deaths for 1820-1848.Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1663. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Archives of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the General Register Office for Scotland website.
A 19th century account of Manor is available online.
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time: