CALLANDER, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CALLANDER, (or Callender), a parish and market town, in the Monteith district of the county of Perth, Scotland, 15 miles to the N.W. of Stirling. It is situated on the edge of the Highlands, at the head of the river Teith, and contains the village of Kilmahog. The Dunblane, Doune, and Callander railway, a branch of the Scottish Central, has a station in the town. The scenery of the neighbourhood is singularly beautiful and varied. The Teith, rising in lochs Lubnaig and Vennachar, flows through a charming valley, and is crossed at Callander by a bridge of three arches. The mountain Ben Ledi, about 3,000 feet high, rises near the village. Within a mile is the Pass of Leny, commanding fine prospects. Loch Katrine is within the parish. The lands along the valley are fertile and cultivated; the higher grounds are chiefly sheep-walks. Slate, limestone, and some lead, are found. The river and lakes contain abundance of salmon and pike. The living, which is in the presbytery of Dumblane, and in the gift of the crown, varies with Fear's prices, but is worth about £200. The church, which forms one side of a small square, is a handsome edifice. There is a chapel of ease at the Trosachs, and a Free church at Callender; there is also an Episcopal chapel. In the vicinity of the village are many seats of the gentry. Bruce, the African traveller, had a hunting-seat at Ardchullery, in this parish. Thursday is the market day. Fairs for cattle are held on the 21st March and the 16th May. The parish is 24 miles in length and from 6 to 12 miles broad. From the village there is daily communication with Stirling by rail, and ample facilities for visiting the Trosachs and other localities in the neighbourhood."
"DUNCRAGGAN, a hamlet in the parish of Callander, in the county of Perth, Scotland. It is situated near Callander and Loch Vennacher."
"KILMAHOG, a village in the parish of Callander, county Perth, Scotland, 3 miles N.W. of Callander. It is situated on the river Teith, and near Leny Pass."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use