"KIRKMICHAEL, a parish in county Perth, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Glenshee and Kirkmichael, the latter being 10 miles N.E. of Dunkeld. Its size is about 17 miles in length and 7 in breadth. Its surface being mountainous, is better adapted for pasture than tillage, and by far the greater portion has never been cultivated. It is watered by the rivers Airdle and Blackwater, the former having a handsome bridge near the village of Kirkmichael. The parish is intersected by the military road from Cupar Angus to Fort George, which passes through Glenshee, and the road from Blair Athol to Blair Gowrie, which passes up Strathardle. It is in the presbytery of Dunkeld, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £158. The parish church was built in 1791. There is also a Free church, and at Glenshee is a chapel-of-ease. There are four schools, two of which are parochial. In the vicinity are several cairns and Druidical remains. On some of the hills in this district tradition fixes the scene of the Fingalian exploits. Ashintully and Woodhill are the principal seats."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]