Historically there were a number of regalties and baronies within Perthshire (as elsewhere in Scotland), where Crown vassals held lands by charter on which they held their own courts, as laid down by the individual charter. These charters can be found in the Register of the Great Seal. Although regalities were abolished under the Heritable Jurisdictions Act (1747), baronies continued to exist but eventually ceased to be used in practice.
There were significant changes made to both county and parish boundaries in 1891. There is a seperate page dealing with the county changes while parish changes are dealt with on the relevant parish pages.