"EASTWOOD, parish, containing Pollockshaws And Thornliebank towns and Shawlands village, on border of Renfrewshire, near south-west side of Glasgow. Its length is nearly 4 miles; its greatest breadth 3¾ miles; its area 5596 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £61,499. Pop., quoad civilia, 13,915; quoad sacra, 7368. The surface lies at an elevation of from about 30 to about 300 feet above sea-level; is an assemblage of flats, vales, and many swells and small hills with intersections of the White Cart and other streams; and presents, in the aggregate, a very beautiful appearance. Sandstone, limestone, ironstone, and coal are worked. Pollock House, a seat of Sir John M. Maxwell, Bart., is a prominent mansion."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]