"LOCHCARRON, a parish partly in the county Ross, and partly in the county Cromarty, Scotland, 225 miles from Edinburgh. It includes Jeantown, on Lochcarron. It formerly belonged to the McIons and Macdonnells, whose ancient castle is at Strom Ferry, but now is chiefly possessed by Mackenzie, of Applecross. The length of the parish is 25 miles, and its greatest breadth is about 10 miles. There are about 1,240 acres in tillage. The parish is the seat of a presb, in the synod of Glenelg, in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £158. The parish church was erected in 1751. There is a Free church. William and Alexander Mackenzie, the Gaelic poets, were natives of this place."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)