URQUHART - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"URQUHART, (and Logie Wester) a parish in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It includes the detached district of Nairnshire, designated Ferintosh, and the villages of Conanbridge and Culbockie. It extends in length about 9 miles, by a breadth of about 3½ miles, and resembles in form a rectangle, extending from N.N.E. to S.S.W. It is bounded on the N.W. by the river Conan and the Cromarty Frith, which separates it from Urray, Fodderty, Dingwall, and Kiltearn. The surface is an inclined plane, gradually declining towards the Frith and the Conan. The land is fertile and well wooded. The prevailing rock is Old Red sandstone. On the moors stone coffins have been discovered. The parish is traversed by the great N. road across the S.W. corner, and by two roads across the Mullbuy towards Knockbain and Fortrose. This parish is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. The stipend of the minister is about £201. The parish church was erected in 1795. There are a Free church, a parochial school, and two non-parochial schools. The principal seats are Ferintosh, Conanside, and Findon.
"CONAN-BRIDGE, a village in the parish of Urquhart and Logic-Wester, in the county of Ross, Scotland. It stands on the right bank of the river Conan, 2½ miles S.W. of Dingwall."
"CULBOCKIE, a village in the parish of Urquhart and Logie-Wester, in the county of Ross, Scotland, 2 miles E. of Dingwall. Fairs are held here in April, July, October, and December."
"NEWTON, a village in the parish of Urquhart, county Nairn, locally in the county of Ross, Scotland. It is situated near Dingwall, 3 miles N.E. of Dingwall. It is situated near the river Conan, on the eastern shore of the Firth of Cromarty."
"LOGIE WESTER, an ancient parish in the county Ross, Scotland, now united to Urquhart (which see)."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003