"TEVIOTHEAD, a parish, containing a post-office station of its own name, on the south-west border of Roxburghshire. It is bounded by Dumfries-shire, and by the parishes of Roberton, Hawick, Cavers, and Castleton. It was erected in 1850 out of the parishes of Hawick and Cavers. It is all an upland region, drained by the head-streams of the Teviot. Population in 1861, 438."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1824. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).