"WILTON, a parish in Teviotdale, Roxburghshire. It contains the villages of Dean and Appletree-Hall, the Wilton suburb of the post-town of Hawick, and another small portion of that town. It is bounded on the north-west by Ashkirk, and a detached part of Selkirk; on the north and north-east by Minto; on the east by Cavers; on the south-east and south by Hawick; and on the west by Roberton ... Wilton suburb consists principally of a long street, which commences near the end of the old bridge across the Teviot, and files away in the segment of a circle behind the town's 'common haugh'. It contains about one-half of the parish's population; and, as to its factories and nearly all its social interests, is completely identified with Hawick"
View a Map of the Area.
from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
See also Hawick parish which was in many ways a twin parish of Wilton. Both make up the modern town of Hawick with Hawick parish lying to the south of the River Teviot and Wilton parish to the north.
A bibliography "of Works relating to, or published in, Hawick: with an Appendix containing a List of Hawick Newspapers, Local Maps, and Music" was printed in the 1908 transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society. This was compiled by James Sinton and appears on pages 49-64.
There were two cemeteries inside the parish boundaries: the modern Wilton Cemetery (near Burnfoot Road) and the much older Wilton Old Churchyard (south of Princes Street). The latter's gravestones were removed in the 1950s though a few stones remain, positioned next to the westerly wall.
A list of monumental inscriptions in Wilton Old Churchyard was printed in the Hawick Archaeologial Society's Transactions. A surname list was printed in 1939 and the inscriptions printed in earlier volumes.
See under Obituaries for details of James Wilson's unofficial register of deaths in Hawick between 1825 and 1862.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
A 19th century account of Wilton parish includes much on the history of the parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1694. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Archives of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
In the Wilton entry for the Statistical Account of Scotland (compiled 1790s, see the Statistics section of the Roxburghshire page for more details) the following comments are made about the completeness, or otherwise, of the parish registers:
"The average of marriages, for the last 3 years, is 13, of baptisms, 20, and of deaths, 8; but these numbers cannot be accounted precisely accurate, as all are not recorded."
The parish registers available worldwide on microfilm include some kirk session records:
More information on kirk sessions and their records can be found in the Church Records section of the Roxburghshire page.
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the General Register Office for Scotland website.
Local websites giving information about the modern town are:
19th century descriptions of Wilton parish and Hawick town can be read online. The online description of the town of Hawick also includes a description of the town's streets, as witnessed by a traveller entering the town from the Kelso direction.
R.E. Scott's Companion to Hawick and District is intended as a "guide to what may still be seen of the more interesting places and relics which have survived through an age of change, demolition and development". It was first published in 1970 by Deans & Simpson of Hawick, and the third edition was published by Hawick Archaeological Society in 1998.
Hawick as it was (or "A photographic glimpse of Hawick as it was") was published jointly by Hawick Archaeological Society and Hawick Camera Club. The book is 96 pages long and is full of old photographs of Hawick and its people from the past.
For an older pictorial record, see Pictures from the Past of Auld Hawick by J.J. Vernon and J. McNairn, published in 1911 at Hawick, and full of paintings and photographs of Hawick in bygone years.
In a similar vein, Ian Millar's website has a large collection of photographs of Hawick in the past.
For the views of visitors to Hawick through the ages, see James Sinton's article "Hawick and its neighbourhood described by travellers at different periods" which appeared in the 1918 transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society, pages 26-50. This describes the views of a dozen or so travellers to the town, the earliest dated 1548, the latest 1864.
Marjorie Gavin has noted Australian deaths recorded in the Hawick Advertiser between the years 1854-1890. The results were published in Borders Family History Society magazines as follows:
In addition to Australian deaths, Marjorie has recorded events during this period relating to Hawick emigrants in other parts of the world, e.g. Canada, America, New Zealand etc. She has offered to check her notes for fellow researchers, and for further details please contact her directly.
19th century accounts of Wilton parish and Hawick town say much about their respective histories.
History books about Hawick include:
Many articles about Hawick's history have been published in past transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society. These include
A number of articles on the Hawick tongue have been published in past transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society. These include:
See also the section on the Roxburghshire page about local dialects.
A reprint of John Wood's plan of Hawick compiled in the early 19th century is available from Caledonian Maps. This was one of a number of plans of Scottish towns compiled during the period 1818-1825, most naming streets and property owners.
Ordnance Survey maps covering Wilton include:
Hawick town is also covered by an old Victorian one-inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map published by Caledonian Maps. The relevant sheet is sheet number 17 "Hawick & Jedburgh" which also includes Ancrum, Ashkirk, Bedrule, Bonchester, Cheviot Hills, Hobkirk, Lilliesleaf, Minto, Teviotdale and Watling Street.
The National Archives of Scotland holds the following as part of its collection of maps and plans:
For the origin of many place names in Hawick and Wilton, see W.S.Robson's articles which appeared in past transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society:
See also Hawick place names: a study of their origin and derivation, with a series of pictorial reconstructions of Auld Hawick by Allan Watt Robson by William S. Robson, published in Hawick in 1947.
J.W. Kennedy also had a short article "Our street names" published in the 1929 transactions, pages 3-4.
James Wilson (1797-1862), a solicitor in Hawick, kept an unofficial register of deaths of the "better-known citizens of Hawick" between 1825 and 1862 and a transcript of this was published in past transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society.
A 19th century account of Hawick town includes much on the early history and development of trade in the town, especially the woollen industry. The article also includes a comparative table showing the increase in numbers of mills, production etc. between the years 1771 and 1850.
For many years Hawick (like several other Border towns) had a thriving woollen industry, providing employment for many inhabitants of the town. A number of articles on this industry and conditions within it have been published in the Hawick Archaeological Society's transactions:
Also relevant (but covering a wider area) is The Border Hosiery and Knitwear Industry 1770-1970 by Clifford Gulvin, published by Border Booklets of Selkirk in 1979 (Border Booklet 3).
An article based upon the extracts from the diary of James Grieve (1751-1838) of Branxholm Park near Hawick was published in the Hawick Archaeological Society transactions of 1950, pages 27-37. "Farming conditions in the year 1800" by E. Barton describes life at that time, from the viewpoint of farmers.
A series of articles on the history of local police was published in the Hawick Archaeological Society's transactions. All were written by Sergeant George Dorward:
John W. Kennedy's article on "Lapsed trades of Hawick" appeared in the 1929 transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society, on pages 19-21. The article was based on a talk given to the Society in 1897, and discusses among other trades: carpet manufacture, hat manufacture, inkle or tape manufacture, glovers, linen industry, nurseries, tobacco manufacturers, whip and thongmakers, brickworks, pottery, brewers, candlemakers, clockmakers, skinners, and tanners.
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:
See A. M. Watters' "History of the Orrok Educational Bequest, and Two Hundred Years of Secondary Education in Hawick" published in the Hawick Archaeological Society Transactions of 1927, pages 40-53.
For a description of Hawick's annual Common Riding (a traditional festival dating back to an event of 1514) see Chapter 19 ("Border Traditions: The Common Ridings") of The Borders Book.
Social life in Hawick and Melrose in 1866: a comparison compares life in the two towns in 1866.
See also the History section above.
The Hawick Archaeological Society publishes an annual set of transactions full of local history articles about the town and surrounding area. It also holds evening lectures in the town.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.