"AIRTH, a parish in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 5 miles to the N. of Falkirk. It stands at the junction of the river Pow with the Firth of Forth, on the south bank of the Forth, and contains the village of Dunmore. The parish extends over an area of about 16,400 acres. A large part of it was formerly moss or peat, which has been removed, and the land is now well cultivated and wooded. At Airth Hill and Dunmore, coal and stone are obtained. There are two ferries across the Forth to Alloa and other places in the county of Fife. Some small vessels are engaged in the coasting trade, and there is a prosperous salmon fishery. The living is in the presbytery of Stirling, value £282, in the patronage of Graham of Airth Castle. The parish contains three ancient towers. One is called Wallace's Tower, and is in the grounds of Airth Castle. Wallace is said to have got secretly into this tower, and surprised and slain the garrison of a hundred men with their captain. Dunmore House is the seat of the Earl of Dunmore. In 1745 the shipping in this port was burnt by the rebels."
"DUNMORE, a village in the parish of Airth, in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 7 miles N. of Falkirk, and 8 from Stirling. The village is situated on the Firth of Forth, and contains an Episcopalian chapel. Dunmore Park belongs to the Earl of Dunmore, who takes his title from a hill of the same name in Atholl Forest. The Linlithgow and Stirlingshire hounds meet here."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003