"A village and a coast parish of NE Linlithgowshire. The village stands 3 furlongs N by E of Dalmeny station. The ¾ mile of railway from the village to the Bridge belongs to the Forth Bridge Railway Co., and from Dalmeny a branch turns off to Winchburgh connecting with Glasgow and the west, and another to Corstorphine connecting with Edinburgh and the east. Dalmeny has a post office under Edinburgh, and is a pretty little place; it commands from its rising-ground a fine view over the neighbouring Firth.
The parish, containing also the hamlet of Craigie, since 1636 has excluded the royal burgh of South Queensferry, which it surrounds on all the landward sides. It is bounded N by the Firth of Forth (here from 9 furlongs to 3 ¾ miles broad), E by Cramond, S by Corstorphine in Midlothian and by Kirkliston, and W by Abercorn."
Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895.