SOUTH QUEENSFERRY, West Lothian - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SOUTH QUEENSFERRY, a parish, royal and parliamentary burgh, county Linlithgow, Scotland. The parish, which is of small extent, is bounded by the Frith of Forth on the N. side, and on the other sides by the parish of Dalmeny, from which it was separated and formed into a separate parish in 1636. The town of Queensferry is about 11 miles from Edinburgh, 8 E. of Linlithgow, and 4 S.E. of the Rathe station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway. It is situated betwixt the shore of the Frith of Forth and a ridge of hills that skirt the coast, and has an important steam ferry station.
It was presented by Malcolm IV. to the monks of Dunfermline, and derives its name from Margaret, Queen of Malcolm Canmore, who frequently used the ferry for the passage of the Frith, which is here only two miles across. As a royal burgh Queensferry was first chartered by Charles I., and under the late Act is governed by a provost, a land bailie, two sea bailies, a dean, and three guilds, and a town council. The municipal revenues amount to about £200 per annum. The town is well supplied with water, but the streets are long and narrow.
There is a small pier harbour at Newhall; also another pier for the convenience of boats when they fail to make the former point. In the middle of the strait is a small rocky island designated Inch Garvie, and about half a mile to the westward is Port Edgar, the place of embarkation of George IV. on his return to England. Queen Victoria embarked at Queensferry for North Queensferry on her way to Perthshire in 1842. The principal business is in the coasting trade, and in coals. There are an extensive distillery, a brewery, and soap factory. During the winter season the inhabitants are principally engaged in the herring fisheries.
The burgh unites with Stirling, Culross, Inverkeithing, and Dunfermline in returning one member to parliament. The parish is in the presbytery of Linlithgow and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale, and in the patronage of the town council. The minister has a stipend of £171. The parish church was restored in 1821. There are a parochial and other schools. The principal residence is Hopetoun House, the seat of the Earl of Hopetoun. A pleasure fair is held on the first Friday in August."
"HOPETOUN, the seat of the earls of Hopetoun, county Linlithgow, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Linlithgow. It is an old mansion, overlooking the Forth, surrounded by a cedar grove and deer park. It has a picture gallery and library."
"NEWHALLS, a village in the parish of South Queensferry, county Linlithgow, Scotland, half a mile E. of Queensferry, and 9 miles W. by N. of Edinburgh. It is situated on the road from Queensferry to Edinburgh, and has a small harbour and pier on the Frith of Forth."
"PORT-EDGAR, a creek on the Frith of Forth, county Linlithgow, Scotland, 1 mile W. of Queensferry."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use