Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"BODWROG, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Llyfon, in the county of Anglesey, North Wales, 4 miles to the S. of Llanerchymedd. The Holyhead railway runs to the south of this place. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, of the value of £90, in the patronage of the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Twrog. The charitable endowments of the chapelry produce £3 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Bodwrog Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1813 acres; Population 164 males, 186 females, total 350
- Bodwrog Parish Church (Diocese of Bangor) Attendance - afternoon 29 Henry Griffith, Perpetual Curate
- Belan, Baptists Erected 1830 Attendance - morning 49 scholars, afternoon 102, evening 86 David Roberts, Baptist Minister
- Nazareth, Independents Erected 1844 Attendance - morning 49, afternoon 32 scholars, evening 35 William Thomas, Deacon
- St Twrog Church - on geograph.org.uk
- Gilead Belan Baptist chapel - on geograph.org.uk and ".......cause in Llynfaes began around 1831 and chapel completed in 1833... enlarged in 1850..... and again in 1900...." coflein
- Capel Bryntwrog/Garazim (CM) - on geograph.org.uk and ".... was first built in 1861 and rebuilt in 1905 ....." coflein
- Capel Bethel (Ind), Maes-y-llan - on geograph.org.uk and ".......founded in 1840 and the chapel constructed in 1844. Bethel Independent Chapel was rebuilt in 1879..." coflein
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office
Details of extant records on the Archives Network Wales site
- Bodwrog Vestry Book 1807-1815 "Vestry book for the parish of Bodwrog, Anglesey, 1807-1809, 1811-1815; along with an assessment of the parish of Llangefni, Anglesey, 1807. The document provides important information relating to local place-name."
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Bodwrog which are provided by:
BODWROG (BOD-TWROG), a parish in the hundred of LLYVON, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Llangevni, containing 312 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, and in the patronage of the Principal and Fellows of Jesus' College, Oxford, to whom the tithes and advowson were appropriated by Dr. Wynne, Chancellor of Llandaf, in 1648, subject to the payment of £l. 5. per annum to the poor of this parish, and who generally present a scholar of that college to the living. The church, dedicated to St. Twrog, is a small edifice, situated on an eminence at a considerable distance from any human habitation. There is a small bequest of £ 12, given by Mr. John Lloyd, for the benefit of the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £99. 10.
( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Jones, J. G., Glyn Derw, Bodwrog, papurau (papers) - details on Archives Network Wales
"The Jones family of Glyn Derw, Bodwrog, Anglesey, were farmers during the 19th and 20th centuries and were linked through marriage to the Elias family................"
Held at Anglesey Records Office (NRA)
- Bodwrog land tax;- 1744-1814: assessments
- Bodwrog Parish;- 1754-1998: records
- Bodwrog Parish Council;- 1921: records
- Bodwrog tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
- Bodwrog window tax;- 1751-60: assessments
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH400776 (Lat/Lon: 53.271174, -4.400836), Bodwrog which are provided by: