We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANBADRIG, a parish in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, county Anglesey, 3½ miles W. of Amlwch, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Llanerchymedd. It is situated at the head of a small creek on the coast, opening to the Irish Sea. The parish includes the township of Clygyrog and the little port of Cemmaes, which is visited by small vessels laden with coal and corn. There are extensive quarries of limestone and serpentine marble. Small quantities of yellow ochre and copper ore have been found. The village is considerable, and some of the inhabitants are engaged in fishing and in the coasting trade. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor, value £169. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is an ancient structure built on the same spot as one said to have been founded in 440 by that saint. It stands close to the sea-shore, opposite an island named Ynys Badrig, from a circumstance recorded in the legendary life of the great Irish apostle. There is a free school endowed with £24, and other charities producing in all about £37 per annum. In the neighbourhood are two cromlechs, one mutilated." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


D'Arcy, Patrick. The story of Llanbadrig. [Cemais, Gwynedd] : Patrick D'Arcy, [1985]. 20p

Edwards, Geraint Wyn. A short history of the churches and neighbourhood of Llanbadrig, Llanfechell, Llanfflewin and Bodewryd. Llanfechell : Y Parchedig Geraint W. Edwards, [1997] 46p

Gates, D G W. Y cofrestr plwyf Llabadrig (1754-1812), Ynys Môn, Cymru. Porthaethwy : Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Gwynedd, 1998. 55p

Williams, Llewelyn. Church of Irish saint in Wales [Llanbadrig, Anglesey]. Country Quest 29/7 (1988), p. 17-18

Windley, Brian. The search for the source of St Patrick's Stone, Llanbadrig. Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club (1998), p. 73-8



You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llanbadrig area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanbadrig Parish consisting of the Townships of Cemmaes and Clygyrog; Statistics; Area 4097 acres; Population 597 males, 684 females, total 1281

  • Llanbadrig Parish Church (Diocese of Bangor)      Attendance - morning 104          1 service in Welsh      "This Church stands at an extreme end of a large agricultural parish and on a rocky shore of the sea and at a considerable distance from the thickly populated districts of the Parish, and therefore its position exceedingly inconvenient during the winter months. This is the reason there is no Evening service performed or Sunday School kept here."    Evan Owen Hughes, Vicar, Cemmaes
  • Llawr Llan Isaf (No denomination stated)      "People tauld me that the congregation at Llanbadrig in general will be from 50 to 60 morn.  There is a British School in the Township Llawr Llanisaf from 90 to 100 scholars"              Informant; Wm. Edwards, R. Officer
  • Sion Chapel, Independent             Erected 1836         Attendance - (average)  morning 64 scholars, afternoon 120,  evening 120             Edward Thomas, Elder, Fodolisa
  • Bethesda, Calvinistic Methodist         Erected 1816     Attendance - (average) morning 150, afternoon 168 scholars, evening 435            "We beg to observe that the Sunday School now held in Bethesda Chapel was first started in another House 20 years before the erection of this Chapel in 1816"               Richard Price, Elder, Cefnarw, nr Amlwch
  • Bethel, Independent      Erected 1827       Attendance - (average) general congregation 130, scholars 100                    John Lewis, Deacon, Cemmaes, Amlwch
  • Capel y Bont, Baptists                   Erected 1836              Attendance - afternoon 50 + 40 scholars                    Owen Jones, Deacon, Carpintir, Cemaes
  • Bethlehem, Calvinistic Methodist            Erected 1808            Attendance - (average) morning 240 scholars, afternoon 50, evening 400         John Owen, Elder, Fferamisaf, Llanbabo


  • Montage of pictures from Llanbadrig Church - on youtube (short video)
  • Llanbadrig Church - on Anglesey Today
  • Llanbadrig Church - on geograph.org.uk
  • St Patrick's Church  - on geograph.org.uk
  • Bethlehem Welsh Baptist chapel, Cemaes   - on geograph.org.uk      and      "The cause at Bethlehem Chapel began in 1823, but the present building ...........dating to 1856,....."  coflein
  • Capel Bethlehem CM, Carreglefn -  on geograph.org.uk          and    "Bethlehem Methodist Chapel was built in 1806 and rebuilt in 1856 ......"    coflein
  • Ysgoldy Penryn [former CM chapel]  - on geograph.org.uk
  • Capel Bethesda, CM, Cemaes    -   on geograph.org.uk     and    "Bethesda Methodist Chapel was built in 1816 and rebuilt in 1861.........."  coflein
  • Moreia Welsh CM chapel, Cemaes              "Moreia Methodist Chapel was built in 1826, renovated in 1863 and altered in 1902............"  coflein
  • Bethel Ind chapel, Cemaes  -  on geograph.org.uk    and    "The cause at Bethel began in 1818 and the first chapel built in 1827......"   coflein
  • Seion Ind chapel, Carreglefn     "The Seion Independent cause was registered in 1838 and the chapel opened in the same year. The chapel was rebuilt in 1891......"  coflein


Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Cemaes section (in Welsh) has been extracted . Also for Seion chapel - translation by Eleri Rowlands (Nov 2013)

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.

Neil Summers' Amwlch data site has various indexes/databases;

  • Bethesda Chapel Memorial Index
  • St Padrig Church Memorial Index
  • Baptisms;- St Padrig Church 1813-1875 , Bethesda Chapel 1808-1837, Bethlehem chapel 1808-1837
  • Llanbadrig Marriages 1813-37
  • Llanbadrig pre 1813 burials

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanbadrig which are provided by:

Aerial photograph of  Porthwen Brickworks, Llanbadrig, 1994  -    on the People's Collection Wales site (use search box)

Llanbadrig  - on wikipedia



Diaries of Reverend John Ellis  -   details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Reverend John Ellis was vicar of Llanbadrig in Anglesey from 1770 to 1777 .................."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanbadrig has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llanbadrig land tax;- 1753-1814: assessments
  • Llanbadrig Parish;- 1731-1992: records
  • Llanbadrig Parish Council;- 1909-63: property records
  • Llanbadrig tithes;- 1925-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Llanbadrig window tax;- 1760: assessments


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH378941 (Lat/Lon: 53.418687, -4.442253), Llanbadrig which are provided by:

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)