|Anglesey||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANIDAN, a parish in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 4 miles N.E. of Carnarvon, its post town. It is situated on the shore of Menai Strait, and includes the township of Brynshenkin. The Roman general Suetonius effected a landing in A.D. 60 at a spot between Porthamel and the river, about 1 mile from the village of Llanidan, still called Bryn Beddau, or the "hill of graves," from the number of the slain. The same passage was chosen a few years later by Agricola, who here dealt the deathblow to Druidic superstition, as related by Tacitus, who gives a graphic account of the engagement." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Harris, John R. The Copper King : a biography of Thomas Williams of Llanidan. Liverpool : Liverpool University Press, 1964. 194p
Particulars and plan of desirable freehold farms and lands situate in the several parishes of Llanidan, Ceirchiog, Amlwch, Llangoed, and Llaniestyn in the County of Anglesea [sic] : sold by auction by Mr. Wm. Dew, 22 August 1861, at the Bull Hotel, Llangefni. Chester : W.F. and M. Healey, 1861. 6p
Roberts, John. Plans of properties in the parishes of Llanidan, Llanfihangel Esceifiog, Llanddaniel, Llaniestyn, Heneglwys and Llangefni in the couty of Anglesey. c 1756. 17 maps
Trefdraeth parish; Llanidan parish; Llangristiolus parish. Particulars with plans of very valuable ....freehold estates, farms and lands ... two thousand seven hundred acres .... to be sold by auction in 48 lots / By Mr. William Dew at The Bull Inn, Llangefni on Thursday the 17th and Friday the 18th days of August 1865.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanidan Parish; Statistics; Area 4645 acres; Population 684 males, 683 females, total 1367
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Brynseincyn section (in Welsh) has been extracted as has Berea Ind chapel - both with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Nov 2014)
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
Llanidan - on wikipedia
Thomas Williams of Llanidan - on the Wikipedia site
"In the 18th century, there was a significant shortage of food for labouring people, not enough was being produced - food is always available for those with money. Thomas Williams 1737-1802, who at his death was the richest man in Wales, once complained to the magistrate at Llanidan that the villagers on Anglesey raided his fields and stole the turnips intended for his cattle and used them to feed their families.................." Jones, W. J., Brynsiencyn, papurau (papers) - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Including minute book of the Llanidan branch of the Workers Union of Anglesey, 1917-1932..."
Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date