We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Trewalch Mai

"TREWALCHMAI, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Llyfon, county Anglesey, 6 miles W. of Llangefni, and 10 from Bangor. It contains the hamlets of Cemas-Coed and Gwalchmai. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Heneglwys, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Mordeyrn. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum!" [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Trewalchmai Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1700 acres; Population 369 males, 406 females, total 775

  • Trewalchmai Parochial Chapel        (Diocese of Bangor)         Attendance - morningn 34 +15 scholars          William Evans, Curate
  •  
  • Moriah, Independents           Erected 1847            Attendance - morning 50 scholars, afternoon 103, evening 63               Edward Williams, Deacon, Shoemaker
  • Gwalchmai Chapel, Calvinistic Methodists         Erected before 1800, rebuilt 1849              Attendance - morning 306, afternoon 245 scholars, evening 600         Owen Thomas, Elder, Shop, Gwalchmai

###########################

  • TREWALCHMAI, St. Morhaiarn 1879-1885 - on the Church plans online site
  •  
  • "Gwalchmai Baptist Chapel is a typical small chapel ............... The congregation was formed in 1889 and the chapel opened in the following year........."    coflein
  •  
  • "Gwalchmai Methodist Chapel was built in 1789, rebuilt in 1810, 1849 and rebuilt for a third time in 1925. ........."   coflein
  •  
  • Moriah Ind Chapel, Gwalchmai  -  on geograph.org.uk      and    "......... cause at Gwalchmai-isaf established in 1844 and Moreia chapel opened in 1847. This was modified in 1892 and rebuilt/enlarged in 1902 ......."     coflein

 

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Gwalchmai section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Aug 2014)

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Trewalch Mai which are provided by:

Gwalchmai - on wicipedia (Welsh)

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Trewalch Mai has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Trewalchmai Tithe Apportionment 1840-1841 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Copy Tithe Apportionment for the parish of Trewalchmai, Anglesey, 1840-1841, together with map. Includes cereal prices and names of owners and occupiers of land"

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Trewalchmai Community Council;- 1899-1993: minutes, accounts, corresp
  • Trewalchmai land tax;- 1744-1814: assessments
  • Trewalchmai tithes;- 1924: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Trewalcmai window tax;- 1751-57: assessments
  • Trewalchmai Parish;- 1727-2000: records

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH390760 (Lat/Lon: 53.256502, -4.415008), Trewalch Mai which are provided by:

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Publications)