GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Breconshire Breconshire   Contents Contents &
Search

Defynnog

 

Bibliography

Hanes plwyf Crai (Crai parish history). Crai : Crai Community Council, 2001. 145p

Jones, Gareth. The district of Sennybridge, Trecastle and Defynnog : this was a way of life. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse Publications, 1997. 247p

Jones, Gareth. The district of Sennybridge, Trecastle and Defynnog. Book 2. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse Publications, 2000. 216p

Jones, Gareth. First names [Defynnog]. Cronicl Powys. No. 26 (1992), p. 48-54

Jones, Gareth. Llwynycrychydd, Defynnog parish. Cronicl Powys. No. 21 (1989), p. 20-23

King, D. J. Cathcart. Camlais and Sennybridge castles. Brycheiniog 21 (1984/85), p. 9-11

Lewis, D. Craionog. Hanes plwyf Defynog : yn cynnwys y rhanbarthau cynlynol; Crai, Glyntawy, Senni, Glyntarell, a Maescar. Merthyr Tydfil : H. W. Southey a'i Feibion, Cyf, Argrffwyr, 1911. 340p

Census

Victorian Powys for schools site - Defynnog census figures 1841-1901

Church History

Church of St Cynog on the Brecknockshire Churches Survey site

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given under Breconshire Parish Registers on the Powys Archives website

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales (NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives:

Callwen (Glyntawe) a parish formed out of Defynnog parish in 1868, extant records are:

Crai/Cray - an ancient chapelry in Defynnog parish, possibly without own PR before 1813.
There is a reference to "Llanilid/Llanulid parish church" in the context of Crai (see also the National Gazetteer entry). Consent was given to rebuild the 'ruinated chapel called Llanthew chapel otherwise Cray chapel in 1752' (NLW)
Extant records for Crai are:

Llanilltud/Llanilltyd (Capel Illtyd) a chapel of ease to Defynnog, a separate parish from 1887, extant records are:

Court Records

Petty Sessions were first held in the nineteenth century, a minor court presided over by two or more justices or magistrates.
Records include minute books, court registers, adoption registers, licensing and ledger accounts. There is a 75 year closure period for adoption records and 30 years for the rest. Petty Sessions Records from 1949-81 (reference: BPS/D) have been deposited at Powys Archives.

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc. within Defynnog parish as shown on the parish map on the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R. J. P., Oliver, R. R.). (Extracted by John Ball)

Sennybridge Castle on the Castle Wales site

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for Defynnog from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Return to top

Defynnog


Valid HTML 4.0! Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Created 5 Jul 2004. Last updated 1 August 2011 - John Ball]

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.