"LLANVIGAN, (or Llanfeugan), a parish in the hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles S.E. of Brecknock, its post town, and 9 N.W. of Crickhowell. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Usk and the Brecon canal. The parish contains the hamlets of Glynn-Collwn, and Penkelly. A castle formerly stood here, which belonged to the Mortimers. The people are mostly employed in the mines. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Glynn annexed, £480. The church is dedicated to St. Vengan. The parochial endowments produce about £42 per annum. Here is a yew-tree above 9 yards in circumference."
"GLYNN-COLLWN, a hamlet in the parish of Llanvigan, hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles S.E. of Brecknock. Here is a church, the living of which is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Llanvigan, in the diocese of St. David's. Hazel Glen is a pleasant spot in this locality."
"PENKELLY, a hamlet in the parish of Llanvigan, hundred of Penkelly, county Brecon, 4 miles S.E. of Brecknock. There are traces of a castle, which formerly belonged to the Mortimers, Despencers, Devereuxs, and other influential families."
"TAL-Y-BONT, a village in the parishes of Llanthetty and Llanvigan, county Brecon, 5 miles S.E. of Brecknock."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.|