GENUKI Home page
Llanspyddid Llanspyddid   Contents & Search Contents &
Search


LLANSPYDDID - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANSPYDDID, a parish in the hundred of Devynnock, county Brecon, 2 miles W. of Brecknock, its post town. It is situated on the Roman Via Julia Montana, and is watered by the river Usk. The parish includes the townships of Modrydd and Pen-Pont. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value 100. The parish church, dedicated to St. Cattwe, is surrounded by venerable yew-trees, one measuring 9 yards in circumference. In the churchyard is a tomb, traditionally said to be that of Brychan Breichiniog. There is also the district church of Bettws Pen-Pont, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value 120, in the patronage of the landholders. The charities amount to about 7 per annum. There are remains of an ancient British camp, called Gaer."

"MODRYDD, a hamlet in the parish of Llanspyddid, hundred of Devynnock, county Brecon, 2 miles W. of Brecknock. It is situated on the river Tarrell, under the Brecknockshire Beacon, which attains an altitude of 2,862 feet."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.


Valid HTML 4.0! Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated at 18.53 on Sunday, 04 July 2004, Gaz3 v01.34 by Rosemary Lockie]

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future. GENUKI is a registered trademark.


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.