|Caernarvonshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"ABERERCH, a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, union of Pwllheli, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 1 mile N.E. of Pwllheli. It lies pleasantly on the shore at the mouth of the river Erch, and the surrounding scenery is very agreeable. It has a large ancient church dedicated to St. Cwrda. The living is a perpetual cur: with the curacy of Penrhoss annexed, value £96, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The Independents, and the Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, have chapels in the parish." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;
There is a photograph of Ebeneser (Ind) chapel on the Penllyn.com site
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Abererch chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010) Also Fourcrosses chapel - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Abererch Parish; Statistics; Area 5962 acres; Population 818 males, 964 females, total 1782
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Abererch churchyard - some inscriptions on Alwyn's Godsacre site
Abererch Community site - history, picture of church etc
Abererch - on wicipedia
Abererch Station - by David Medcalf on wikimedia commons
"ABEREIRCH (ABER-ERCH), a parish partly In the hundred of DINLLAEN, and partly in the hundred of EIVIONEDD, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (E. N. E.) from Pwllheli, on the road to Criccieth, containing 1365 inhabitants. This small parish is pleasantly situated on the sea-shore, near the mouth of the river Eirch, from which it has received its name, and contains some agreeable scenery, interspersed with several well-built genteel houses, the principal of which is Hendrev, the property and residence of the Rev. T. Roberts. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Penrhos annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 6, endowed with £ 600 royal bounty, and £ 600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Cawrdav, is an ancient and spacious building, in the later style of English architecture, and consists of a nave, north aisle, and chancel ; the two eastern windows, which are enriched with elegant tracery, have been ornamented with stained glass. There are places of Worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A tenement in the parish was bequeathed for the use of the poor, by the late Rev. Mr. Conway, the incumbent, and is now let for £6 per annum, which, with £4 per annum, arising from other charitable donations and bequests, is annually distributed on St. Thomas' day. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £460. 13." (Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833). (Copied using the original books AND the Cd published by Archive CD Books
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996