GENUKI Home page

Dwygyfylchi Dwygyfylchi     Contents Contents

Dwygyfylchi


National Gazetteer (1868)

"DWYGYFYLCHI, a parish in the hundred of Uchaf, in the county of Carnarvon, 2 miles W. of Conway. It is a pleasant little village, situated on the coast. The Holyhead railway passes through the parish The hamlets of Isa-pen and Ucha-pen are within its boundary. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the copper works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor, value 125, in the patronage of H. and L. Eyton, Esqs. The church is dedicated to St. Gwynin. In this neighbourhood are a great number of antiquities, consisting of cromlechs and single upright stones, the remains of a British camp, with ditches and ramparts, &c."

"ISA-PEN, a hamlet in the parish of Dwygyfylchi, county Carnarvon, 2 miles W. of Conway."

"UCHA-PEN-ISA and UCHA-PEN-UCHA, townships in the parish of Dwygyfylchi, county Carnarvon, 2 miles W. of Conway."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

DWYGYVYLCHI (DWY-GYVYLCHI), a parish in the hundred of LLECHWEDD-UCHAV, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (W.) from Aberconway, on the road from Liverpool to Holyhead, containing 444 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the mountainous district of Carnarvonshire, and is bounded on the east by the aestuary of the river Conway, which here falls into the Irish sea. In altering and improving the line of road from Liverpool to Holyhead, in 1826, a new route was formed through it from Aberconway, nearly four miles in extent, at an expense exceeding 20,000 : it passes through the immense rocky mountain of Penmaen Bach, which here projects into the sea, and, being carried immediately above the sea, is impassable during the winter from the heavy gales which prevail, in consequence of which the mail and other coaches are compelled to travel along the old line of road through the mountain pass of Sychnant. The village is small, and consists only of a few scattered houses irregularly built.

Copper - ore and manganese have been found in the parish, in small quantities, and pyrites in large masses ; but the copper mines only are now worked, and that upon a limited scale. There is also an abundance of feldspar, but the works have been nearly discontinued.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, endowed with 400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of L Wynne Eyton, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Tegonwy, is a small neat edifice, pleasantly situated beneath the lofty mountain of Penmaen Bach, and is appropriately fitted up for the accommodation of the parishioners. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The produce of several charitable donations and bequests, amounting in the aggregate to 76.14. per annum, is annually distributed among the poor on St. Thomas's day.

On the mountains within the parish are numerous ancient encampments and fortresses, of which those to the south of Penmaen Bach are the most extensive and singular in their construction. The principal of these occupies a very spacious area, enclosed by a strong stone wall of rude construction, much of which, with its facing of uncemented stones, is still remaining entire. Near it are seven smaller circular enclosures, about fifteen feet in diameter, formed of large upright stones, and in the centre of some of them stands a single upright stone. To the south of these are no less than twenty-six circular enclosures of similar construction, varying from twelve to twenty-two feet in diameter ; and upon a rocky promontory facing Deganwy is a very deep narrow fosse, surrounding a wall of loose stones. The whole of this range of hills appears to have been anciently occupied, the foundations of several buildings being spread around on all sides ; upright stones and carneddau are scattered in various places, and at a short distance stands a large upright stone of rude form, called Maen y Campiau, or " stone of the games," for the celebration of which, and also for the holding of the great Eisteddvodau, or meetings of the bards, these and similar places appear to have been appropriated during the earlier ages of the Britons. The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to 92. 17.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 17 June 2005  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.