Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLAN NOR, (or Lanfaur), a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, county Carnarvon, 3 miles N.W. of Pwllheli, its post town, and 4 S.E. of Nevin. It is situated in a hilly district. The village is considerable. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacy of Denio, or Pwllheli, annexed, £195, in the patronage of the bishop. The church of the Holy Cross is an ancient structure. There are two Calvinistic Methodist chapels. The parochial endowments produce about £14 per annum. Bôdgroes is the principal residence. Here are some curious inscribed stones. Fairs are held on the 12th April, 18th and 29th October." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
There are photographs of the following chapels on the Penllyn.com site;
Pentreuchaf chapel (CM); Capel Berea, Efailnewydd (CM)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llannor Parish; Statistics; Area 5553 acres; Population 536 males, 581 females, total 1117
- Llannor Parish Church Attendance - morning 82, evening 92 (Llannor with Denio - 6 services in Welsh and 2 in English) Thomas Jones, Vicar
- Rhydclafdy, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 52 years before 1800 Attendance - morning 156, afternoon 171 scholars, evening 162 Owen Williams, Elder, Penrhynydyn, nr Pwllheli
- Refail Newydd, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1828 Attendance - morning 65, afternoon 157 scholars, evening 165 James Parry, Deacon, Penllwyn, Pwllheli
- Pentrauchaf Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1779 Attendance - morning 152 scholars, afternoon 218, evening 189 Evan Evans, Manager, Llannerch, Pwllheli
You can see pictures of Llannor which are provided by:
LLANNOR, a parish chiefly in the hundred of DINLLAEN, but partly in that of GAFLOGION, in the Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (N. W.) from Pwllheli, containing 1137 inhabitants. This parish, which is very extensive, is situated in the south-western portion of the county, and nearly in the centre of the great promontory which separates Cardigan bay from the bay of Carnarvon. The village, which is small, is beautifully situated near the junction of two small streams, in a fine and extensive plain, open to the sea on the one side, and sheltered on the other by a range of mountains. The surrounding scenery is finely varied, and in many parts strikingly picturesque ; and the distant views embrace numerous objects of interesting character and romantic appearance. Bodegroes, the ancient seat of the Glynne family, occasionally the residence of Bishop Glynne, and of his brother Geoffrey Glynne, Dean of the Arches, and founder of the free grammar school at Bangor, and now the property of his descendant, William Glynne Griffith,Esq., is an elegant mansion, beautifully situated in grounds tastefully laid out, and comprehending much varied and beautiful scenery. Fairs are held on April 12th, and October 18th and 29th. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Denio annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 12, endowed with
£ 800 royal bounty, and £ 800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is a long edifice in the later style of English architecture, with a small tower at the west end, and contains some windows of good design, enriched with tracery. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. A parochial school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, is supported by subscription ; and, as there is no school-room, part of the church is appropriated to its use. The produce of various charitable donations and bequests is annually distributed among the poor at Christmas, according to the will of the several benefactors ; and a large distribution of bread is made weekly to the poor frequenting the church, for which purpose Mr. John Evans bequeathed £ 104, now paid by the proprietor of Bodegroes. In a field callcd Maen Hir, near Beudymynydd, in this parish, a very curious grave was recently discovered, containing some remains of human bones : the body appeared to have been deposited on the gravel with the feet towards the north, and on each side was a slab of chert-stone, six feet long, curiously wrought: on these stones, forming the eastern and western sides of the grave, are inscriptions in rude Roman characters, and above them was a flat stone covered with soil. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 391. 2. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Owen Lloyd Papers 1681-1761 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Miscellaneous collection of documents (mainly letters) presented to the library with the Porth yr Aur papers but apparently unrelated. Most seem to have been in the possession of Owen Lloyd of Ty Newydd in Llannor
) Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Deeds and related documents, 1601-1815, concerning the parishes of Llannor, 1669-1771; Llanbeblig, 1646-1714; Caernarfonshire; deeds and family papers of the Lloyds of Tynewydd, Llannor, 1601-1815.."
Tynewydd, Llannor [c. 1706]-1708, 1775-1924 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Letters and letter books etc........"
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH353372 (Lat/Lon: 52.906906, -4.450538), Llannor which are provided by:
Vestry Book Transcript Early 20th century [Transcript of original material dated 1765-1811] - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales