Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANGWNADLE, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, county Carnarvon, 11 miles W. of Pwllheli, its post town. It is situated on the coast of Carnarvon Bay, and is a fishing village. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bangor, value £50. The church, dedicated to St. Gwynodl, is a triple-aisled structure, containing a sculptured font. The charities amount to about £8 per annum. On Mynydd Cefn Amwlch is a very perfect cromlech, remarkable for its peak-shaped superincumbent stone." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llangwnadle Parish; Statistics; Area 1243 acres; Population 141 males, 156 females, total 297
- Llangwnadle Parish Church Attendance - average - afternoon 30 + 20 scholars Services in Welsh "The Incumbetn serves Tydweilog church in the morning at distance of 3 miles" John Evans, P.Curate
- Pen y Graig, Calvinistic Methodist Erected before 1800 Attendance - average - morning 300, afternoon 179 scholars Hugh Williams, Deacon, Nantpenllach
You can see pictures of Llangwnnadl which are provided by:
LLANGWNADL (LLAN-GWYNODL), a parish in the hundred of COMMITMAEN, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 12 miles (W. by S.) from Pwllheli, containing 293 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the south-western extremity of the county, and upon the shore of Carnarvon bay, by which it is bounded on the west, comprises a small tract of arable and pasture land, in the cultivation of which the inhabitants are chiefly employed, except during the season of the herring fishery, which is here conducted upon an extensive scale. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and the distant views, extending over Carnarvon bay and the adjacent country, are peculiarly interesting. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £1200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir J. S. Piozzi Salusbury, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Gwynodl, who lived about the middle of the sixth century, possesses no architectural claim to particular description. There is a small place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. Hugh Griffith of Brynodl, in 1788, bequeathed a tenement in this parish, directing the rental, now amounting to £7 per annum, to be appropriated to the payment of a master to teach poor children of this place to read Welsh : the school, in which twelve children are gratuitously instructed, is held in the vestry-room of the church, no building having been erected purposely for its use. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £83. 9. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Llangwnadl Survey 1947-1948 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"A survey by the inhabitants of Llangwnadl on their local area dealing with the geographical and historical background, population, employment, agriculture, visitors, local government, standards of living"
William Owen Roberts, Plas Llangwnadl Manuscripts - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The collection includes transcripts of the parish registers of ........... Llangwnnadl, 1781-1966............ Amongst these are copies of Vestry Accounts and some epitaphs collected from various churchyards............................There are notes relating to the families of Llangwnadl and surrounding parishes as well as family pedigrees. The shipping section consists of a cargo book, 1910-1914, belonging to the ketch Colonel Gamble and an account book, 1915-1917, of the ketch, Tryfan . There are also notes and poems regarding various shipwrecks off the coast of the Lleyn peninsula."
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH203327 (Lat/Lon: 52.861689, -4.670848), Llangwnnadl which are provided by: