Llanbadarn Fawr Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is a parish ....... on the river Lery, 7 miles north-east from Aberystwyth and 4 east from Bow Street station on the Cambrian railway; it is in the hundred of Geneu'r-glyn, petty sessional division of Geneu'r-glyn Upper, union and county court district of Aberystwyth, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St David's. The ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1868, includes a portion of Llanfihangel Geneu'r-glyn.
The church of St Peter, built and endowed in 1868 by the Rev Lewis Gilbertson and family, is a building of stone in the Early English style ...... there are 200 sittings. The register dates from 1868. The living is a vicarage ....... held since 1883 by the Rev Alexander Williams, of St David's College, Lampeter.
There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels.
Captain Sir Edward John Webley-Parry-Pryse bart JP of Gogerddan is the principal landowner.
The soil is gravel on rock. Principal crops, oats and barley. The area is 4240 acres of land and 26 of water; rateable value £795; the population in 1901 was 149 in the civil and 215 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Post Office; Mrs Mary Ann Edwards, sub-postmistress
Public Elementary School, built in 1856, for 70 children; average attendance, 29; Miss J Davies, mistress
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 29 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996