The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, situated in a richly wooded district near the river Teifi, 4 miles north-north-west from Llandyssil station, and 4 1/2 miles east from Newcastle Emlyn terminal station, both on the branch from Pencader, of the Great Western railway, and 252 from London, in the Troedyraur hundred, union and county court district of Newcastle Emlyn, Penrhiwpal petty sessional division, rural deanery of Newcastle Emlyn, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Mary is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave, and a turret with spire, containing 1 bell: there are 150 sittings. The registers date from the year 1768. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £102, average £91, net income £121, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1888 by the Rev. David Lewis, of St. David's College, Lampeter.
There are Calvinistic, Methodist and Congregational chapels.
Col. Lewis is principal landowner.
The soil is light; subsoil, slate. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,713 acres; rateable value, £1,137, and the population in 1891 was 469.
Post & M. O. O. & S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Penrhiwllan.---Thomas Herbert Davies, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Llandyssil at 9.5 a.m.; dispatched at 2.50 p.m. No collection or delivery on sun. The nearest telegraph office is at Maesllyn, 2 1/2 miles distant
The children of this parish attend school at Henllan, about one mile distant
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 23 November 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996