We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llangrannog chapels

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (Feb 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

  • 1.  The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • 2.   The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.      UWP,   Cardiff, 1976
  • 3.   Nonconformist Registers of Wales published by the National Library of Wales in 1994.
  • 4.   The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales: Their Records and where to Find them, Vol. One, Cardigan - Carmarthen - Pembroke, by Rawlins, B.J. (1987).
  • 5.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 6.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 7.  My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
  • 8.  Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters.
  • 9.  Death and Burial indexes available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History Society
  • 10. Online Commercial & Residential Directories as appropriate to a particular parish - apart from what may already be on Genuki, see also the Historical Directories site

 Other sources

  • Dyfed FHS  - Photographs of chapels (may also be other data there)
  • Archives Network Wales
  • Lewis 1833 on Genuki  (Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 )

All

  • Monumental inscriptions for Llangrannog Parish (index only) are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS [Sant Carannog, Bancyfelin,Blaencelyn, Capel Crannog, Capel Ffynnon,Capel Gwndwn, Capel-y-Wig, Pantycrugiu

There are  index entries for various local chapels in these books ;

Baptist

Gwndwn Baptist chapel (Capel-y-Gwndwn), Pentre-gat

  • Gwndwn Old Baptist chapel, Pentre-gat      ( near New Inn].     SN35445196          Cause 1826, built 1830, rebuilt 1844?, repaired 1894, replaced by new chapel 1910, see below      Members; 30 in 1840       Not still open 1998 (demolished)  (1) & (4)
  • Gwndwn Baptist chapel (Gwndwn New chapel), Pentregat         SN34015213         Built 1910.      Not still open 1998 (residential)    (1)
  • Gwndwn  Baptist      Erected in 1830       D Williams, Baptist Minister           1851 (2)

 

Congregational

Capel Crannog/Bodwennog Ind chapel

  • Bodwenog Ind chapel (Capel Crannog)        SN31295413           Built 1888.    Still open 1998   (1)
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • ".... Capel Crannog, built in about 1893, has been closed to the public since the last service there two years ago.......................The keys to Capel Crannog were officially handed over to the people of Llangrannog by the chapel trustees this week. The premises, which are a gift to the village, are to be developed into a community, arts and activity centre.........................."       Llangrannog Community site   (Aug 2006)
Capel-y-Wig Welsh Ind chapel, Pontgarreg
  • Capel-y-Wig Welsh Ind chapel, Pontgarreg        SN34355474         Preaching here for many years before chapel built 1813, rebuilt 1848, renewed 1926.   Has graveyard    Members; had over 400 in 1873       Still open 1998   (1) & (4)
  • Chapel Wig   Ind      Erected in 1813          Thomas Rees, Minister     1851  (2)
  • Capel-y-Wig    Welsh Ind      Opened 1813     Still open 1992    (7)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006) 
Pantycrugiau Welsh Ind chapel (Capel Crugiau), Plwmp
  • Pantycrugiau Welsh Ind chapel (Capel Crugiau), Plwmp          SN36585237        Preaching here several years before chapel built 1847/8, rebuilt 1858 & 1897.      Still open 1998  (1) & (4)
  • Pantycreigiau    Ind      Erected in 1847       Robert Thomas, Minister           1851  (2)
  • Pantycrugiau   Welsh Ind      Opened 1848    Still open 1992    (7)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS 
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

 

Methodist

Bancyfelin Welsh CM chapel, Bancfelin

  •  Bancyfelin Welsh CM chapel, Bancfelin            SN31525402       Started 1775, chapel built 1863, alterations/additions 1872 & 1888.              Not still open 1998 (dwelling)      (1) & (4)
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Bancyfelin (Cal.Meth., 1871-1959); Capel Ffynnon (Cal.Meth., 1937-48).
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
Capel-y-Ffynnon Welsh CM chapel (Ffynon/Worville Brook), Pentre-gat
  • Capel-y-Ffynnon Welsh CM chapel (Ffynon/Worville Brook), Pentre-gat     SN35375195      Chapel built 1848-9, schoolroom built 1840.    Not still open 1998 ( residential ca. 1990).    (1) & (4)
  • Worville Brook   CM     Erected in 1849        Owen Evans, Deacon, Penar         1851   (2)
  • Capel Ffynnon CM chapel, Pentre-gat           Bapts 1849-1948  NLW     (3)
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Bancyfelin (Cal.Meth., 1871-1959); Capel Ffynnon (Cal.Meth., 1937-48).
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

 

 

[Gareth Hicks:  24 April 2011]