The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Llanwnen is a parish in the county of Cardigan on the road from Cardigan to Lampeter, and is 3 miles south-west-by-west from Lampeter station on the Manchester and Milford railway, 33 south from Aberystwith and 265 from London, in Moyddyn hundred, Lampeter union and county court district, Upper Moyddyn petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Lampeter, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Gwynnin is an ancient building of stone, in the Gothic style of the 15th century, consisting of chancel and nave, and a western tower with short spire, containing one bell: the church was restored in 1873, at a cost of £883, and affords 140 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1799, marriages, 1763; and burials, 1796. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Silian annexed, tithe rent-charge £244, average £180, with 41 acres of glebe, net income £193, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1878 by the Rev. David Morris, who resides at Silian.
The principal landowner is Thomas Hugh Rice Hughes esq. D.L., J.P.
The soil and subsoil is gravel and slate. The area comprises 2,545 acres, of which 3 are water; rateable value, £1,077; the population in 1891 was 269.
Post Office.---Titus Evans, sub-postmaster. Letters through Llanybyther R.S.O. Carmarthenshire are received at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 2.45 p.m, Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Llanybyther.
School (Mixed), built for 120 children; average attendance, 60
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 18 February 2004]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996