Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Newchurch

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Newchurch

"NEWCHURCH, or LLAN-NEWYDD, a parish, in the lower division of the hundred of ELVET, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (N.W. by N.) from Carmarthen; containing 867 inhabitants. . . The parish is situated on the banks of the river Gwili, and on the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Newcastle-Emlyn, and comprises a large extent of arable and pasture land, which is fertile and in a good state of cultivation. The court leet for the hundred is held under Earl Cawdor, at Bwlch Newydd, in the parish. . . The church, which was entirely rebuilt in 1829, is a remarkably neat edifice; and there are place of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. About 50 males and females are taught in a Sunday school belonging to the Established Church, and about 60 in one appertaining to Methodists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Newchurch or Llannewydd Parish Church Thos Williams, Minister, Johns Town, Carmarthen
  • Cwmdwyfran CM Erected before 1800 David Richards, Steward, Care of the Landlord of White Horse, Priory St, Carmarthen

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

  • St Michael
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Davies
  • Rural Deanery of Carmarthen
  • Acreage 5,105 ; Population 766

    Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Newydd

      Church Records

      Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

      PR 1719-38 recorded in 1933 apparently lost

      Parish registers: Christenings (1742-1980) , Marriages (1742-1970) and Burials (1742-1975) are at Carmarthenshire Record Office

      Copy ms PR CB (1719-38, 1742-1812) M (1720-38, 1742-1838) are at the NLW

      Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1742-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

      Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675-7, 1681-2, 1686-7, 1690, 1693, 1696-8, 1702-3, 1705, 1707-8, 1711, 1713, 1716-18, 1720-1, 1724-40, 1743-59, 1762-70, 1773, 1775-85, 1787-99, 1802-58, 1878) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

      An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1742-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

      Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 15 - Elvet Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

      See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

      Nonconformist Chapels:

      • Noddfa Baptist chapel, Henfwlch Rd / Foelcwan SN38072272 Formed 1880 Still open 1998 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
      • Cwmdwyfran (Calvinistic Methodist, bef 1798), Cwmdwyfran / Bronwydd Births and baptisms (1813-36) PRO RG4/3862, LDS 828108, IGI; collection book (1953-74) NLW, Calvinistic Methodist Archives; statistics, South Carmarthenshire Presbytery (1878-1904) NLW, Calvinistic Methodist Archives SN41132485 Built 1792, rebuilt/modified 1861 & 1909 Coflein Cwmdwyfran, Bronwydd CM chapel - still open in 2006
      • Bwlchnewydd (Independent, bef 1715) - see under Abernant parish
      • Capel Bach, Newchurch SN39402393 Coflein

      Description and Travel

      The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

      • Area 4894 acres; Population 393 males, 478 females, total 871

      Places, villages, farms etc within Newchurch as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

      • Newchurch (43); Allt-y-ffarm; Blaen-eigiau; Bronwydd Arms Sta.; Bryn; Bwlch; Bwlch-newydd; Clyn-gwyn; Crug; Cwm-dwyfran; Cwm-gloewddu; Esgair-fechan; Esgair-hir-isaf; Foel; Foel Cwan; Forge Fm.; Garn fawr; Goetre; Golf Course; Knights Ford; Llech-Eigion; Mill(2); Nant Cynnen; Nant Hir; Newchurch; Pistyll-gwyn; Plas-bach; Res.; Rhyd-y-marchog; Sch.; Traws-mawr; Tre-newydd; Waun-llanau
        You can see pictures of Newchurch which are provided by:

        Historical Geography

        You can see the administrative areas in which Newchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

        Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newchurch (near Cynwyl Elfed) to another place.

        History

        Sampler made by Ann Stott, Newchurchc 1850 - on the People's Collection Wales site

        Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

        Morgan, R.T.M. The History and Antiquities of the Parish of Newchurch, Carmarthen, W.M. Evans and Son (1910).

        Public Records

        Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

        • Newchurch Parish Council Records 1837-1990 (accumulated 1894-1990)