We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh, ΒΌ mile (W) from Ruthin. ..... This parish, of which the hamlet of Street extends into and forms part of the borough of Ruthin, is bounded on the north by the parish of Llanynys, on the south by the parishes of Efenechtyd and Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, on the east by Llanrhydd and Ruthin, from which it is separated by the river Clwyd, and on the west by the parish of Clocaenog. The scenery is rich and beautiful, embracing a great variety of surface, numerous little streams tributary to the river Clwyd, well cultivated fields, tracts ornamented with oak, ash, sycamore, elm and larch, and several superior mansions, with views from the higher grounds in every direction of the most picturesque kind."
[A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish of Llanfwrog comprised the townships of Street, Bodyngharad Ucha, Bodyngharad Isa, Cilygroeslwyd, and Penycoed.

Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 114578.
The church was founded in the seventh century by St. Mwrog. It was rebuilt during the Norman period, and re-dedicated to St. Mary. Having fallen into decay, it was extensively restored in 1869 / 1870, being re-opened on 24 June 1870. The tower was restored in 1906.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches Nonconformist places of worship for Llanfwrog were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" under the Civil administrative district of Ruthin Borough. Details will be found on the parish page for Ruthin.

Church Records

Parish Registers

  • The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
    They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    These microfilms are not available elsewhere.

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1638 - 1936 1638 - 1945 1638 - 1934

  • Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1638 - 1812 1638 - 1837 1638 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

  • Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
    Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
    The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
    In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1676 - 1860 1813 - 1860


  • There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Mwrog's, Llanfwrog.

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanfwrog was assigned to the No. 2 ("Ruthin") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanfwrog are in the format :

  • Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII.nnn
  • Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b.nnn

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanfwrog which are provided by:

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfwrog has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ114578 (Lat/Lon: 53.109988, -3.325062), Llanfwrog which are provided by:
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries


  • In 1831- the population was 1596.
  • In 1901- the population was 1225.
    [Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]


  • Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 3068 acres.
    [ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]