GENUKI Home page Flintshire county page Flintshire Flintshire parish index Parishes Contents Contents

 

Bettisfield

"A township in the parish of Hanmer, hundred of Maelor, county of Flint; four miles (E.N.E.) from Ellesmere, containing 359 inhabitants. It is situated on the border of Shropshire, and the road from Ellesmere to Whitchurch passes through it."
[A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834]

Bettisfield is a rural area in the south of Maelor Saesneg, which is the detached part of Flintshire.

For a map link to this place - see under Maps on Hanmer

 

Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 461360.
Bettisfield was originally in the parish of Hanmer. The parish church was an inconvenient distance away, and therefore in 1851 the Vicar and schoolmaster began to conduct Sunday evening services in the village shop for the villagers of Bettisfield. These proved very popular, and a wooden chapel was built, opening on 12 October 1851. The chapel, dedicated to St. Chad, was extended in 1852, and licensed by the Bishop, who preached there on 13 October 1852.
The present Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was erected at the expense of Lord Hanmer in 1874, and was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on 16 October 1878. The wooden chapel was demolished in 1875.
(N.B. The wooden 1851 Chapel at Bettisfield was in fact dismantled, not demolished, and components of it re-erected at St Mary Magdalene, Tallarn Green, in 1876 as a private room for visiting ministers. There is currently (in Dec 2011) a planning application before Wrexham County Council to demolish this 'shed'.) (M Woodhall)

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Bettisfield became a separate parish, within the Diocese of St. Asaph, on 24 January 1880.

Nonconformist Churches

"Welsh Church Commission - County of Flint - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist place of worship in the Civil parish of "Bettisfield":

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Not named Primitive Methodist 58
Return to top of page

Church Records

Nonconformist Records

Name of Chapel Denomination Type of Record Years Covered
Ebenezer
School House
Mill House
Primitive Methodist Baptisms 1843 - 1988

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Bettisfield was assigned to the No. 2 ("Hanmer") sub-district of the Ellesmere Registration District, which was co-extensive with the Ellesmere poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Bettisfield are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Bettisfield Railway Station

Population

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated   8 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI