"LLANWONNO (LLAN-WYNNO), a parish in the hundred of MISKIN, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 12 miles (N.W. by N.) from Cardiff to Newbridge (the principal village within its limits), containing 1094 inhabitants.
This parish, which is bounded on the east by the river Taf, is nearly equally divided between mountain and valley ; Cwm Clydach, Cwm Rhondda, and Cwm Cynon, watered by their respective streams, are partly within it. The Aberdare canal passes down the last, and forms a junction with the Glamorganshire canal at Navigation House, in the parish of Llanvabon ; and up Cwm Rhondda is a tram-road, communicating with the collieries worked there. The Rhondda falls into the river Taf at the populous village of Newbridge, of which the part situated in this parish is the largest: here a weekly market for provisions is held, and a considerable quantity of corn is conveyed hence for the supply of Merthyr-Tydvil.
The celebrated bridge called Pont y Prydd crosses the Taf at Newbridge, and is described in the account of that place.
This parish is within the jurisdiction of the court of requests held at Merthyr Tydvil, on the second Thursday in every month, for the recovery of debts not exceeding £5.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, endowed with £ 1000 royal bounty, and £ 1600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Llantrissent. The church, dedicated to St. Wonno, and distant three miles from Newbridge, is romantically situated on the rocky side of Cevngwingil mountain, at a considerable distance from any habitation. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £393. 11."