"LLYSWORNEY, otherwise LLYS - WERNI (LIS - WORNEY), a parish in the hundred of COWBRIDGE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (W.) from Cowbridge, containing 189 inhabitants. It is pleasantly situated in the fertile vale of Glamorgan, near the turnpike road leading from Cowbridge to Bridgend, and comprises but a small portion of land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation : the surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and in the vicinity are some handsome residences. Little Nash, the seat of Mrs. Markham, and Stenbridge, are both extra-parochial : in the former was a private chapel for the accommodation of the family, but divine service has not been performed in it within the memory of the oldest inhabitant. The living of Llysworney is a discharged vicarage, annexed to that of Lantwit-Major, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £4. 7. 3 1/2., and endowed with the great tithes of the parish. The church, dedicated to St. Tudvil, is not remarkable for any architectural details. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. A Sunday school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is supported by subscription. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £77. 15." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llysworney as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
- Stembridge (119); Stembridge; Stembridge Brook.
- Llysworney (120); Corrwg; Llysworney (village); Mynydd Bychan; Pen-yr-heol; Stembridge Brook;
- Nash (121); Monastery (Remains of); Nash Manor
Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See Llysworney - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"