"ST. BRIDE'S MAJOR, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage, with the Curacy of Wick, valued in the King's Books at £9..16..5 1/2: Patron, Richard T. Turbervill, Esq. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801 (consisting of the Hamlets of the St. Bride's, Llamphy, and Southern-Down), was 682. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £352..11..0 3/4, at 2s. 2d. in the pound. It is 4m. S. b. E. from Bridgend. This Parish contains 3000 acres of inclosed and cultivated Land, and about 1500 acres of open Downs. Here is an immense Spring, which issues out of a Rock at the extremity of the Parish, and which is esteemed equal to the Water of the Hot Wells for keeping. It is situate near the Bristol Channel. ROBERT THOMAS, the Poet, was a Native of this place: and flourished from about the year 1700 to 1750."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.