|Glamorgan Contents Nearby Places|
"YSTRAD OWAIN, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Rhuthyn, Cantref of Pen y then (now called the Hundred of Cowbridge), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Perpetual Curacy, not in charge: Patron, The Chancellor of Llandaff: Church dedicated to St. Owain. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 169. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in l803, was £49..3..1, at 2s. 6d. in the pound. It is 3 m. N. b. E. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains 1000 acres of inclosed Land, and an extensive uninclosed Common.-The present worthy Minister, The Rev. RICHARD WILLIAMS, very obligingly adds, "There were standing, not many years ago, in a Field near the Village, two large, but rude monumental Stones, said to have been placed at the heads of the Graves of Owain ab Ithel and his Consort, and commonly called, The King and Queen Stones: but they have of late years been removed. Tal y Faen Castle, of which there are some remains, was one of the Castles belonging to the thirteen Peers of Glamorgan. It was granted by Sir Robert Fitz Hamon to Sir Richard de Seward, in whose Family it continued for many Generations, and from, whom it came by Marriage to the Dukes of Lancaster. It is still a part of the Duchy of Lancaster. In a Field adjoining the Church-yard, on the Western side, there is a very large Tumulus, of which no traditional account now remains."-According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Stipend only, was £9. The Great Tythes belong to The Rev. Dr. Hunt, the present most worthy Chancellor of the Church of Llandaff." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
Description and Travel
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
References to Ystradowen in the British Library
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
Glamorgan Chapels Database - no non-conformist chapels found in this parishYSTRADOWEN, St. Owain 1865-1868 - on Church plans online
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Owain, and is in the Benefice of Cowbridge Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference ST011777.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1696-1904, Marriages, 1697-1837, Burials, 1696-1927.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1761-1973||1754-1971||1761-1974||1754-1818, 1925-1970||1696, 1725-1741, 1743, 1745-1837|
Places, villages, farms etc within Ystradowen as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)
Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.
Ystradowen Motte - on Castle Wales
|1850||(Slaters Directory)||1858-1859||(Slaters Directory)|
|1841 - 196||1851 - 221||1861 - 248||1871 - 232||1881 - 222||1891 - 215|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996