Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 7461 acres; Population 309 males, 297 females, total 606
St Peter's Parochial Church Originally a Chapel of Ease under the Collegiate Church of Towyn Attendance - morning 100 Services in Welsh "The Tythes amount to about £225 now in the hands of Lord Seaham who allows only £22 for the maintainance of the Minister and the Parish Clark" Edward Pryce, Churchwarden
Pantreithog Chapel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1831 Attendance - morning 83, afternoon and evening no service "The usual number of Scholars attending the Sunday school are 85" Thomas Jones, Deacon, Glanfechan, nr Machynlleth
PENNAL, a parish, comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, in the hundred of ESTIMANER, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (W.) from Machynlleth, containing 776 inhabitants, of which number, 258 are in the Upper, and 518 in the Lower, division. This parish, which is situated on the river Dovey, and is intersected by the turnpike road from Machynlleth to Aberdovey and Towyn, comprises a tract of hilly and rocky ground but little adapted for purposes of agriculture. The soil is thin and poor, but, in some of the lower grounds, not altogether unproductive ; the declivities of the hills afford only a scanty pasturage for sheep and young cattle : peat, which forms the principal fuel of the inhabitants, is found in various parts of the parish. The petty sessions for the hundred are held here every alternate month. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £ 200 royal bounty, and £ 1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was rebuilt about fifty years ago, with the materials of an ancient Roman fortress, called Cevn Caer ; but, as the building is entirely covered with stucco, the ancient Roman bricks are not discernible. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Sunday schools are supported by subscription, in connexion with the established church and the several dissenting congregations. Of the ancient Roman fortress of Cevn Caer, nothing but the site is remaining. Several coins of Domitian, Augustus, and Tiberius have been dug up in this spot; and in a turbary at no great distance from it was found a spear head, evidently of Roman construction. From this situation is obtained a fine view of the river Dovey to its mouth, and of Cardigan bay, With the Cardiganshire coast, and the country adjacent. At Esgair Llyverin, in this parish, are preserved the bed and furniture for the reception of Charles I., when on his way through this country to Chester, which was removed to this place from an ancient mansion still remaining in the parish of Machynlleth. In the grounds of Pant y lludw is a remarkably fine yew tree of amazing growth : the trunk is thirty-two feet in girth, at the height of six inches from the ground, and forty-eight feet in height ; and the largest branch is nine feet in girth, and forty-four feet in length. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £331. 7. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Cymdeithas Hanes Pennal a Corris, casgliad (collection) 1842- "Cymdeithas Hanes Pennal a Corris ('the Pennal and Corris Historical Society') collected photographs and other historical items relating to the parishes of Pennal and Corris and surrounding area....."
Machynlleth Poor Law Union Relieving Officer, records "Papers of Ivor Jones, Relieving Officer, 1922-1930, relating mainly to the cases of Mary Davies, Pennal, Merionethshire, and Ann Davies, Cemmaes, including letters, 1923-1930; bills and receipts, 1930."
Thruston family of Pennal papers 1684-1927 "Deeds of the Pennal Tower estate in Merioneth and Montgomeryshire, 1684-1908, letters, 1842-1927, and letters and reports relating to the prospects of the Gellyllog and Cwmbreichiau slate and slab quarries, Merioneth, 1869-1893."
Pennal Tower Estate Records 1501-1922 "Pennal Tower estate records of the Price family of Esgairweddan, Pennal, Merioneth, and the Edwards and Thruston families of Talgarth Hall and Pennal Tower, Pennal, Merioneth, including title deeds, 1501-1918, of the Esgairweddan, Talgarth Hall and Pennal Tower estates, mainly in Merioneth and Montgomeryshire............."
Title Deeds to the Fronfelen Estate 1810-1898 "....... The Fronfelen estate lay mainly in the parish of Llanwrin, Montgomeryshire, but also in the parish of Pennal, Merionethshire. The estate owned two fulling mills and a water corn grist mill at Esgairgeiliog.............."