Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANELLEN, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 2 miles S. of Abergavenny, and 8 from Pontypool. It is situated on the western bank of the river Usk, and is crossed by the Brecon canal. It is a small agricultural village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value £105. The church is dedicated to St. Helen. The charities produce about £7 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Bannon, Louis. Remember Abergaveny : including the villages of Crickhowell, Gilwern, Govilon, Llanellen, Llanfoist and Llanover. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse Publications, 1995. 128p.
- Evans, J A H . Lewis Edmunds of Llanellen 1814-1903. Gwent Local History vol 89 2000 Welsh Journals Online
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanellen Parish; Statistics; Area 2536 acres; Population 180 males, 188 females, total 368
- Llanellen Parish Church Attendance - morning 26 + 17 scholors, afternoon 36 + 20 scholars 2 services in English William Jones, Vicar
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Llanelen, St Helen's Church - records with the NLW
||1696, 1725-31, 1733-45, 1747-1860, 1862-70 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llanelen which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanelen has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO302108 (Lat/Lon: 51.791438, -3.013469), Llanelen which are provided by: