|Where is it
"MATHERNE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 2 miles S. of Chepstow, its post town, and 14 from Newport. It is situated on Matherne Pill, at which place the river Wye joins the Severn. A house called Monks Court is partly of the 15th century, and was inhabited by the bishops of Llandaff until 1706, but it is now converted into a farmhouse.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £352, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Theodoric, is an ancient structure. The interior contains a tablet to the martyr Theodoric, on which is an inscription by Bishop Godwin. The parochial charities produce about £26 per annum, of which £13 goes to Pratt's school."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date