|Where is it
"OLDCASTLE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 6 miles N.E. of Abergavenny, its post town, and 9 from Crickhowell. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated upon the E. slope of the Black mountains, which skirt the vale of Ewyas near the river Monnow. The village consists of a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £48 4s. 6d., and the glebe consists of about 123 acres.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £73. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Lord Cobham, the companion of Henry V., was burnt here for heresy in 1417. This place was once the residence of Sir John Oldcastle. The remains of the castle are but slight, a farmhouse having been erected on its site. Roman coins have been found in the neighbourhood. There are also several encampments, supposed to be Roman."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date