Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Pen-Allt / Penallt
"PENALTH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 1½ mile S.E. of Monmouth, its post town, and 12 miles from Chepstow. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Wye. The living is endowed with the rectorial tithes. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Trelleck, in the diocese of Llandaff. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Penalt Parish; Statistics; Area 2284 acres; Population 244 males, 223 females, total 467
- Parish Church Attendance - morning 37 + 50 scholars, afternoon 78 + 38 scholars 2 services in English William Oakeley, Curate
- Dwelling House, Primitive Methodist Erected 1839 Attendance - afternoon 25, evening 35 William Richards, Society Steward
- Baptist Chapel Erected 1821 Attendance - morning 6, evening 21 "The above chapel has been without a minister for nearly four years; an attempt to is now being made with the view (if possible) to revive the Baptist cause at Pernalt amongst a large, scattered and poor population" Joseph Moore, Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Pen-Allt / Penallt which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Pen-Allt / Penallt has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO522106 (Lat/Lon: 51.791957, -2.694488), Pen-Allt / Penallt which are provided by: