GENUKI Home page
Trelleck Trelleck     Contents & Site Map Contents &
Site Map
    Where is it In Monmouthshire Where is it
In Monmouthshire


TRELLECK, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TRELLECK, a parish in the upper division of Ragland hundred, county Monmouth, 4 miles a of Monmouth, its post town, and 8 from Chepstow. The village is situated near Beacon Hill, on the road from Monmouth to Chepstow, and has a mineral spring. The parish contains the chapelry of Trelleck Grange, and is so called from a group of monoliths near the village, supposed to be the remains of some Druidical monument.

In a garden close by is a tumulus 450 feet in circumference, said to be the spot where the earls of Clare had a castle, but is more probably a barrow raised over the bodies of the Britons slain here by Harold, as recorded on the pedestal of an ancient sundial near the churchyard gate.

The living is a vicarage* annexed to that of Penalth, in the diocese of Llandaff, value 430. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is also the district church of Trelleck Grange, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value 74. The parochial charities produce about 67, of which 43 go to Babington's school, &c."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]


(Last updated - Gareth Hicks  - 17 Feb 2009)

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI