"BRIDELL (BRIDDELL), a parish, in the union of CARDIGAN, partly in the hundred of KEMMES, but principally in that of KĪLGERRAN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (S.) from Cardigan; containing 404 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road from Cardigan to Narberth . . The parish comprises by admeasurement 3000 acres, of which 1000 are arable, 100 meadow, 1850 pasture, and 50 woodland; the surface is beautifully undulated . . . and the scenery is pleasing and picturesque. . . The soil is loamy with small patches of clay, and the lands are in general well adapted to agricultural purposes; there are numerous stone quarries, the produce of which is used by farmers for buildings and fences, and there are also a corn-mill and a carding machine . . . The church, dedicated to St David, is an ancient structure, beautifully situated and embosomed among trees, the luxuriant foliage of which almost conceals it from view. . . In the churchyard stands an ancient cross, of the kind called St.Catherine's, supported on a plain shaft about nine feet high, but the inscription has been obliterated by time. A day and Sunday school have been discontinued for want of support. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from Dyfed Family History Society.
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR CMB (1705-1809) recorded in 1831 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1810-1993), Marriages (1810-1970) Banns (1824-79, 1912-80), and Burials (1810-11, 1814-1993) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies at Pem.RO.
Copy ts PR/BT M (pre 1813) with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-5, 1678-81, 1683, 1685-6, 1689, 1700, 1709, 1799-1801, 1806-7, 1809-43, 1846-52, 1854-73, 1875-80) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105130.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Bridell parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
Jones, Harry Longueville Erect stone with oghams at Bridell . Publisher [Tenby] : [R. Mason], [1860?] Description 4p ; 22cm. .Reprinted from the "Archaeologia Cambrensis," October 1860' - t.p. An article in the series, 'Early inscribed stones of Wales'.
[Gareth Hicks: 24 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996