"JOHNSTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/4 miles (S.S.W.) from Haverfordwest, on the road to Milford, containing 194 inhabitants. The environs are pleasant, and contain some agreeable scenery, and in the vicinity are several respectable seats. Johnston Hall, an ancient mansion of the family of Edwards, and for a long time the residence of the late Lord Kensington, is now the property of the present lord, and is in the occupation of Thomas Bowen, Esq. The lands, which are all freehold, are chiefly enclosed, and in a good state of cultivation. This parish abounds with culm and limestone, the former of which is worked for the supply of the neighbourhood, and the latter also on a limited scale, and chiefly burnt for manure. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Steynton, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the King's books at £2. 0. 5., endowed with the rectorial tithes, and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church is not distinguished by any peculiar architectural features. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A Sunday school, in which about forty children are gratuitously instructed, is supported by subscription. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £35. 9." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Johnston with Steynton from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Johnston Baptist Church
CB (1637-1804) M (1637-1755) entered in PR Steynton
Parish registers: Christenings (1637-1804, 1813-1956), Marriages (1637-1809, 1813-1971) Banns (1839-1976), Burials (1637-1803, 1813-1987) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1801, 1804-7, 1809-12, 1814-66) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105146.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Places, villages, farms etc within Johnston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
[Gareth Hicks: 29 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996